Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Stop Using Regular Laundry Products

One source of garbage that I haven't been able to get rid of with my no garbage initiative is dry sheets. They're impossible to reuse, can't be recycled and if you've ever tried to dry your clothes without fabric softener - trust me the static is horrible! So how do I eliminate this source of garbage? I got a great tip from somebody that I work with; use eco-friendly laundry detergent and softener.

With a few searches on Google, I was able to easily find in variety of environmentally friendly laundry soaps and fabric softeners. All of these products seem to be based on vegetable oils - something I've never seen before. So I'm going to order a bottle with my wife and I'll report back on how well it works.

I also did a little research on how damaging fabric softeners and dryer sheets are to the environment and was a little shocked. Most dryer sheets contain all or some of the following chemicals which have been proven to cause health problems:

  • alpha-terpineol
  • benzyl acetate
  • camphor
  • benzyl alcohol
  • limonene
  • ethyl acetate
  • pentane
  • chloroform

According to the EPA, these chemicals have been shown to cause the following health maladies:

  • central nervous system disorders, headaches, and loss of muscle coordination
  • irritation of mucous membranes and impairment respiratory function
  • nausea, vomiting, dizziness, or drowsiness
  • liver or kidney damage
  • skin disorders and allergic reactions
  • cancer

So let's all do the Earth and ourselves a favor! Stop using dryer sheets!

No comments:

Post a Comment