Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Getting The Family Behind A No Garbage Project

While I feel personally compelled to eliminate the garbage that I've been producing throughout my life, I have to admit that it wasn't an easy sell to get this started. From my experience, the older somebody is - the more resistant they are to trying to achieve a goal of producing no garbage.

I have a 7 year old daughter who has really latched on this idea and made it her own. She's very eager to put refuse in the our recycling bins and is excited at the prospect of helping to make the world a better place. I'm sure with the right encouragement, any child would be happy to help with this project.

On the other hand, my wife understands that I'm trying to make a difference, but doesn't really care because she wants to continue using a garbage can for the convenience of being able to just throw everything out and have it "go away." To be honest, I didn't really sell her on this idea, I only gave in other areas so that she had to put up with my environmental crusade; but it was worth it! It's not easy to convince those closest to us that we need to do this. I'm afraid if we don't, we may not have the luxury of a comfortable life that we've grown to love.

So what do you think? Do you have an argument or favor that you did to help bring your loved ones into the mix? I'm sure that every environmentalist has had to drag their friends and family along with them; but without the effort how else can we make a difference in society? Let everybody else know what worked for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment