Monday, July 13, 2009

Second Step to Being Garbage Free: Compost

After one week of my no garbage project I ran into a small problem. Of course, every household will have food garbage and we've been saving ours in our garbage can for a compost heap. However, we didn't realize that meat products cannot be included in the mix. That's one week of perfectly good compost out the window! Lesson learned: I still have to throw out meat which is garbage. There has to be something it's good for; but I guess for now we'll still be using the landfill for that. I'd better make sure my daughter isn't reading this blog - meat waste is just another reason for her to want a dog!

The one nice thing about this idea is how easy it is to make a compost heap. In it's simplest form all one needs is a small area of land which is out of the way and can be fenced off. For my first try (but probably not my last), I'm going to use a few stakes in the ground and chicken wire around a small area. Check back to see how things are going.

No comments:

Post a Comment