Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My New Compost Heap On The Cheap

Yesterday I started a compost heap in my back yard. It was relatively inexpensive coming in at under $40, which if you ask me is a pretty cheap compost heap. To put it all together I went to my local Home Depot and bought the following items:

  • 25' x 2' of Chicken Wire
  • 6 Pieces of 2' Rebar
  • Wire Cutters

Putting it all together only took me about 25 minutes. I found a small area of land which is out of the way and on an already desolete patch of grass (if you can call it that). From the looks of it, there hasn't been any growth there for years and the soil doesn't appear to have much humus in it. So I scoped out a small triangle and drove the rebar into the ground with one bar at each corner of the triangle and one in the middle of each side for support. Then it was just a matter of weaving the chicken wire down onto the rebar and cutting the excess wire. The whole thing is pretty exciting! Check back to see how it all goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment