Thursday, August 6, 2009

Cloth Diapers Instead of Disposable Diapers

My daughter is 7 years old, so my days of changing diapers are over for now at least. But I've been remembering back lately to those days because a friend of mine has a baby boy. Thinking about it makes me realize how much garbage I created by using disposable diapers. Looking back I wish I would have used cloth diapers. Sure, it's not fun to clean a diaper, but it's the sustainable way to have a baby. The truth is that disposable diapers create toxic waste in landfills. The plastic and gel wrapped excrement slowly degrades over time creating a stew of petroleum based chemicals and human waste.

A quick search on Google for cloth diapers returned a bunch of results for companies trying to sell reusable, cloth diapers. Based on how much I used to pay for disposable diapers, I would be willing to be that putting down a few extra dollars for a cloth diaper would actually save you money in the long run. Like so many other environmental initiatives, going green can save you green. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment